10/11/14: I may not finish this scarf pattern. I started it and restarted it several times. I made a chart to make sure I was putting the stitches in the right spot. I finally got that all worked out but it was very hard to get my crochet hook in the sc stitch of the previous row. So, on one of my restarts, I started making the slip stitch very loose. This helped enough that I started the scarf again with high hopes.
By the way, the shorter scarf pictured was another attempt to make this pattern. I thought since putting the hook into the slip stitch was so hard, perhaps I could do the scarf by putting the hook in the space of the previous row, not under the two top threads of the sc. Well, I made a scarf but this came out tight, less wide and so thick and bulky I didn’t like it crocheted that way.I told myself with practice I would get going and complete the scarf as the instructions indicated. I got about 13 inches completed when I noticed a snafu about halfway down. I see a hole (I made it bigger for the pic) and at the end/start of that same row is a turn row stitch that sticks out a little too far to be right. This may just be where I started to loosen up and crochet with correct tension. Instead of looking like an arrow, my first row curves in – probably me working too tightly caused this. The picture at left is how the scarf is supposed to look. This pattern is available here on Ravelry.
I am going to take a break from this pattern. Knit something out of the yarn. Maybe I will try the Desert Arrow Scarf pattern again later.