Search This Blog

3/20/15

Pattern for Arrowhead - knit, crochet

3/14/15 - I decided I would like to add an
arrowhead to my "western-style" windmill
bag.  I got the idea from this funky sweater
I purchased some time ago at the Goodwill.
I don't think I have ever worn it.  Anyway,
my attempts at a knit arrowhead or a crochet
arrowhead are recorded below.  I think I like
the tightness of the knitted version.  When I
get some beads added to the piece, I think
the arrowheads will lay flat.  Of course, I
could sew 2 together for extra stiffness and
that would make them straight.

Notes for Me on Knitting:

Decrease slant to right - (K 2 tog or P 2 tog)
Decrease slant to left - (psso or slip stitch on
  right needle, work next stitch, pass slipped
  stitch over worked stitch)
Stockinette is knitting all knit stitches on one side and all purl stitches on the opposite side

I left a long tail 24" long so I could pick up 4 stitches along the base of the triangle to shape the bottom part of the arrowhead.  for this I knitted 3 rows, then increased a stitch at the start and end of the 4th row, next row I bound off.

Knitted Arrowhead:  CO 10 st, knit across,
P next row - decrease one stitch at beginning of row and one at end = 8  st
Knit across
P next row - decrease one stitch at beginning of row and one at end = 6 st
Knit across
P next row - decrease one stitch at beginning of row and one at end = 4 st
Knit across
P nest row - decrease one stitch at beginning of row and one at end = 2 st
k last 2 st tog and bind off

*It doesn't really matter if you do stockinette stitch or knit every row.  And the decreases can be simply K or P two stitches together . . . . or you can worry about slanting them L or R as described above.

NOTE: I made 2 arrowheads and sewed them together for stiffness and to keep them from curling.  I had plans to bead them like the ones on the sweater but it was not working for me.

I liked the knitted version but a simple crochet version could be made as follows:
Ch 4
Row 1:  2 dc in 4th ch from hook (beg of ch), ch3, turn (3 sts)
Row 2:  1 dc in same place as turning ch, 1 dc, 2 dc in last st, ch3, turn. (5 sts)
Row 3:  1 dc in same place as turning ch, dc to last st, 2 dc in last st, ch 3, turn. (7 sts)
Row 4:  dc in each st (7 sts)
I then ss over to the center 3 sts and sc 3 sts, ch 1, turn for 2 rows then increased in first and last sts for 5 sts to give a little shape to the base of the arrowhead.

My Ravelry link to this Windmill purse can be found here.


No comments:

Post a Comment