Search This Blog

2/18/09

My idea of a vacation. . . .


An ideal vacation for me doesn't include overpriced tourist attractions and outlandish prices for dinner at fancy restaurants. I gave up sunbathing years ago so even the ocean isn't a must for me. However, this John C. Campbell Folk School , is something I think I might like to do. Here's some info from the site:
From Basketry to Writing, you can choose from over 860 weeklong and weekend classes each year in a broad variety of areas. Your creative learning vacation is enhanced by knowledgeable instructors and small classes. Whether you are a novice or an expert, you will find the class that's right for you. Come explore your creative side in our non-competitive, hands-on learning environment!Click here for individual program overviews and to browse class descriptions by subject.


Although I probably won't be taking any vacations until the house I have in Aurora is sold, I'm putting this place on my must do list. It has 100's of classes - 860 it claims. That should just about cover everything! They have a beekeeping class: "At the end of the course, you will be able to set up and maintain your own hive capable of producing 100+ pounds of honey each year. If everyone knew how easy it is to keep bees, they would all have a hive in their back yard! "
Of course, I would like some of the artsy classes - polymer clay, found objects, glass, etc. Right now it's just on my wish list. I will have to settle for glass beadmaking and the stained glass classes being offered at Moss Glass on eighth street. Which, by the way, a friend and I are planning to take around April. Anyone else want to attend?

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and find it interesting.....I'll be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete